Wednesday, August 24, 2011

From Apple's journal #39

There is nothing that makes us more aware of life than movement.
When we are little we think that everything that moves must be alive and everything that stays very still is obviously dead.
You try to explain to a little child that there is a baby growing inside your belly and they look at you blankly. They see the belly getting bigger but it's just that. A belly. Nothing more.
Today the girls were finally able to feel the baby move.
Suddenly it's not a belly anymore. There is obviously something alive inside.
Suddenly they understand that their little brother or sister is there.
Now they want to pet my belly, talk to it, Scarlet even asks me to pull my shirt up to show things to the baby.
They connect and they interact with the baby. They giggle when they feel a kick and they say it's saying hello.
I was kind of expecting that reaction from the girls.
I was not expecting it from Andrew.
The first time he felt the baby was in the middle of the night.
I felt a strong kick, not just inside of me but with the hand I had on my belly.
I woke up Andrew and asked him if he wanted to feel the baby.
He was half asleep when he nodded but as soon as he felt the movement his eyes opened.
He was laughing and saying " I can feel it! I can fell it!" over and over again.
Like with the girls somehow the movement threw the baby from a dream world straight into reality.
Now my belly gets more attention than I do.
"Careful with the baby"- Ruby says when Scarlet runs to me.
"Letty want to kiss the baby goodnight"- says my little one before going to bed.
"Let me get you more pillows for your belly"- says Andrew every time I sit anywhere at home.
It's like... it's like the whole family is pregnant with me. All of them teaming up to take care of this wee one inside my belly.
I'm loving it!

No comments: