Sunday, August 21, 2011

From Apple's journal #37

I'm expanding.
My pants don't fit.
My bras refuse to go all the way around.
My shirts are way too tight.
It's time to get those comfortable maternity dresses out and embrace my new found roundness. Also time to say goodbye to my feet because as in my other two pregnancies my belly is not the only thing getting bigger.
As I was putting the girls to sleep today Scarlet pointed at my belly and asked: " the baby ix thele?".
I said yes and prepared for the next question. There is always the next question.
Ruby was too little to ask anything when I was pregnant with Scarlet but this time they were both at that "how and why" stage and I was not getting a free pass again.
-How did it go to the belly, mommy? - she asked immediately.
I sat them both down on Ruby's bed and took a deep breath.
I started:

Ok... so tonight instead of reading you a story I'm going to tell you how babies are made, ok?
You see... making a baby is just like making a cake.
The mommy has some of the ingredients, the daddy has the others and the belly is the oven.
So, let's say that the mom has the sugar and the flour and the daddy has the milk and the eggs.
I already explain to you that girls and boys are different. They have different... things between their legs. So the daddy puts the... hum.. wet ingredients in mommy's belly using his pee-pee.
He puts his private part in the mother... vajayjay and when the time is right the ingredients mix.
Then after 9 months in the oven... a baby is born.

The girls were looking at me, funny expressions on their faces.
-So a baby is like a cookie? - Scarlet asked.
-A bit.. yes.
-But I don't have a daddy with a pee pee... -said Ruby.
-No, darling. But it works the same way. A doctor put the ingredients in mummy's belly and you lived there until you were ready to be born.

They looked at each other, then at me, then decided they had enough of that conversation.
I expect more questions in the next few days.

No comments: