Tuesday, March 8, 2011

From Apple's journal #12

- Mooom.... - he says, dragging the "oh" sound like he drags his feet when he doesn't want to go to bed.
- Yes honey?
- Are you going to send me away?
- Baby, you are going to spend a few days with your father. He misses you very much, you know? Like you miss him... And you're going to go on the big plane!
- But what about my room? And Ruby? And Velvet?
- What about them?

I stopped the packing to sit with Owen for a while. There was something worrying my boy and I was not going to put him on a plane without sorting it out.

- Will you give my room to the baby?
- Of course not. It's your room, Owen. It will be here when you come back. And so will Ruby. And Velvet. And I will be counting the days, missing my little man every second.
- So you'll still be my mom when I come back?

I picked him up and whipped a cookie crumble from his face.

- Owen... I will always be your mom. Nothing can change that. Don't I love you and Ruby just the same? I did not stop being Ruby's mom when I got you, right? And I will not stop being your mom because Scarlet is on her way.

He looked at me as if he was measuring my words.
Poor baby... I hate to think that he believes that I could ever abandon him. I hate that life made this child think that moms come and go.

- So Velvet is still mine?
- Velvet is ours. The whole family... So yes, he is still yours.
- And I'm still Ruby's big brother?
- Yes you are. And you know what? Pretty soon you'll be Scarlet's big brother too.
- I will?
- Yes, darling. See... not only do you keep everything you had... you are going to gain one more person to love you. Scarlet is going to love her big brother very, very much. And mommy's heart grows bigger and bigger and I love you all even more each day.

He pauses and smiles.

- Ok! But moooom....
- Yes dear.
- How is Scarlet going to get out of your belly? And how did she get there?

...
...
...

Sh*t!!!

No comments: