Monday, February 7, 2011

From Apple's journal #9

What do I decide to do the second day I'm a mother of two?
A 15 hour car trip!
Yes, I know... you must be thinking that I was out of my mind but I really did not want to put the kids through a long crowded flight with the possibility of having them both suffer from that awful sensation we get on our ears when the plane takes off and when it lands.
So I packed up our stuff, made sure I had plenty of food and drinks in the car and a huge collection of kid music and hit the road with Owen, Ruby and Velvet on the back seat.
I think I must be the luckiest mom in the world because Ruby slept for 13 of the 15 hours it took to get to London and Owen was such a good sport.
As we left New York Owen fell asleep too. He took a 4 hour nap with Velvet's head in his lap.
We spend the rest of the way singing ( you can't imagine the kind of animals Old McDonald can have in his farm...) and playing games.
I got him to talk a little too.
He stopped calling me mommy and went back to calling me lady.
I asked why he called me that and he said he didn't know my name. I explained that my name was Apple but if he wanted to he could call me mom.
He looked at my with a funny expression on his face and said:
"You're not an apple! You're not green!"
I told him that Apple was my name like Owen was his and suddenly it was like he finally understood why the hell everyone was calling me that.
So the past two days my son thought I had no name and everyone just called me a fruit. I had to laugh!
After that he alternated between Apples (apparently i can't be only one) and mom or mommy.

No comments: