Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The joys of being crazy #1 - Convenient amnesia

Oh... remember those days when something bad happened and you wallowed in pain for hours and hours?
With "convenient amnesia" you can say bye-bye to all that.
Maybe I should give you some background story.
My parents must have dropped me on my head on I was little.. or I was abducted by aliens.. don't really know. The thing is as I grow older the loose stuff in my brain starts bouncing around, knocking things down making things that where properly screwed to the walls come undone and join the "on-the-loose" gang.. And the more things are rattling in my head, the messier it is.
I'm 27 now and I'm already at that stage where I completely forget pieces of my day because they were lived by some other me.
Sounds a bit tragic... but it's not.
It's very convenient!
You see... in my crazy mind I got myself stuck in a situation where I'm living with my ex. Our relationship was not healthy before and after 129 breakups (probably more) it did not improve.
So I open my eyes and I'm on the couch.
My wrist is hurting like hell and the house is silent.
I wonder if I'm alone... a quick check upstairs tells me I'm not.
My head hurts and I'm feeling kind of dizzy so I head to the kitchen to get something to eat and find my fridge completely cleaned.
The stupid thing was still covered in lame declarations of love this morning and now it's completely white. It was scrubbed clean.
It was something I wanted to do for a while but I have been putting it off because I don't deal well with change and normally it triggers a panic response but somehow it was already done.
I was not exactly sure I had done it but it fit my hurting hand ( scrub-scrub-scrub) and my dizziness (way too much nail polish remover).
Later I found out that my ex was angry... so that fit too.
I assumed that the reaction was because I had cleaned the fridge. Yes... we are not together but any step I take in that direction is met with disapproval and a look of betrayal.
Only at night when my ex came to me and told me "I'm so sorry for what I've done today" did I understand.
Something happened today that made me so upset I switched into "i'm-cleaning-this-frickin'-fridge-Rita" but because of my convenient amnesia I have no idea what it was. So I can not feel miserable about it *and* I have a squeaky clean fridge!
Win-win situation!

2 comments:

Passenger B-12 said...

Now i'm curious about what make switch in to "i'm-cleaning-this-frickin'-fridge-Rita".
I could be quite nice, having someone to do the sucky work by me, how do you do that?

Alailanible said...

Easy. I do the sucky work, but then forget about it. :)