Thursday, July 28, 2011

From Apple's journal #29

We sat Ruby and Scarlet down and prepared for the conversation.

-Babies - I said, looking at Andrew - You know how Owen has a daddy?
-Yes. And I want to go visit him! I want to play with Owen!- said Ruby immediately.
-We'll talk about that later. I want you to know that Andrew is Scarlet's father, just like Connor is Owen's father.

Ruby perked up.
- Are you going to take Scarlet on a vacation too? - she sad smiling at the idea of having the toys all to herself.

-No- Andrew replied- I'm going to stay with you and your mommy.
-Do you understand Scarlet? - I asked looking at the little one - He is your daddy. You can call him daddy if you want to.
-Does this means he'll only tell stories to her and I'm not going to learn how to fish??? - Ruby interrupted, alarmed.
-Of course not. Just because I'm Scarlet's father does not mean I wont play with you, or tell you stories!
-So what does it mean? - she asked.
-It means that he'll be around Ruby. For Scarlet and for you... and for the baby that is growing on mommy's tummy.- I said, still worried because Scarlet was really quiet.
- A baby? Like another sister? Like Mia?- Ruby however was speaking a mile a minute.
-Maybe a little sister. Maybe a little brother. We don't know. And it will be really little at first, not like Mia.
Ruby stopped talking for a while, trying to decide if she liked the idea or not.
-If you're Scarlet's dad do I have to call you dad to?
-No. You both can call him Andrew if you prefer... or dad if you want to, right Andrew?
He nodded.
Scarlet was still quiet...
-Scarlet, love... what do you think? - I asked trying to understand what she was feeling.
Scarlet looked at me, than at Andrew. Then she said in the most normal way, like we were all making a big fuss out of nothing:

- Daddy, can I have a cookie?

Figures!

No comments: