Sunday, June 12, 2011

From Apple's journal #21

Getting the kids to sleep is like making a recipe. A very complicated, delicate recipe.
Every one has their rituals.
If Owen was with me he would take Ruby and they would brush their teeth together while I washed Scarlet.
Then they would follow me to Scarlet's room and I would read them a story while Scarlet drank her bottle.
They would both kiss her goodnight and I would put my arms around them, cuddle them close to me and we would sing a lullaby. We would leave the lamp with little stars on and the music box playing and leave quietly.
I would then give a bath to Ruby while Owen picked his socks for the next day and get Ruby's pjs.
Time to tuck Ruby in while Owen plays in the bathtub. She asks me what she will dream about and I tell her a different thing every night.
Then it would be Owen's turn. I help him get dressed, kiss him goodnight and call Velvet to sleep at his feet.
Today was a bit different. Owen wasn't here and we had Mia.
I'm still learning Mia's routine. She likes warm milk before brushing her teeth and a sip of water after.
She hugs everyone in the house before going to bed and after I tuck her in she does the sweetest thing and sends a kiss to her daddy with the angels and says goodnight to mommy Billie like she was right there beside her.
If this routine is not broken or shaken in less then 30 minutes I have them all sleeping.
I check their rooms about an hour after just to make sure they are covered and sleeping well.
It's a science.
It's easier to make a soufflé... but not as rewarding.

No comments: