Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sometimes you just have to laugh




This little bugger right there decided to break my heart this morning.
He fell in my balcony two days ago and he was all charming and cuddly and just when he won me over, he left.
And by left I mean died in my hands. Bastard!
He was just a baby and I could not feed him properly. He refused to eat anything but live flies and during the last night I could not get any.
I tried to make him eat soaked cat food because that’s what the internet told me to do and we all know the internet doesn’t lie. He probably decided I was a barbaric savage and was thinking the whole time ” what the hell, I’m not eating that, that is disgusting, bring me bugs!”.
I tried ants as well. Several sizes. Not that size matters… well, lets not have that discussion over a dead bird post, alright?
So after sleeping the whole night snuggled between my boobs ( did I mention that he was a pervy bird?) he started acting really weird in the morning.
He had no balance, his head was turning in an odd way, and I knew. Little birds are fragile, specially those who like to bungee jump without a rope from their nest… so I knew he was probably going to die.
I’m a softie. I don’t care if he was only around for two days… I started crying like a little girl. I put him on my bed because I was still hoping his tiny legs just fell asleep or something like that and, with big fat tears rolling down my face i just had to laugh.
The creature looked like it was either possessed by some sort of demon or really, really drunk.
Afraid he was going to hurt himself, I reached for him. He tumbled into my hand, tried to get up my sleeve and settled.
And then he died. And that was it. The little bitch!
As I sat there for a long time, I had all sorts of odd thoughts.
I had not given him a name because I was afraid to get attached and then having to let him go. Was it a self fulfilling prophecy?
Had I killed a poor baby bird by fearing it would die?
What would it take to make me fear I might win the lottery?
Come on, if the little buggie died so I could find out I had that amazing power, I had to put it to good use… you know, for him.
Maybe I should start by fearing someone would deliver a pizza for lunch.
After about an hour I took a deep breath and said one of those sentences that I’m sure my neighbors were thrilled to hear being carried over the open window: “What the hell am I going to do with the body?”
Sometimes you just have to laugh. Even if you are crying your eyes out.
Farewell, you picky, pervy bird. It was really nice of you to come to my house to die.
And you just had to look cute and adorable, didn’t you?
Creep!

No comments: